If you have a WordPress blog, you can add your own favicon that appears on your browser tab and on the left side of your browser’s web address bar. You’ll see mine above and I’ve also added one to Christine’s CrazyGoatLady.com. Oh yeah, they also appear when your site is Bookmarked or Favorited.
1. Find an image you want to use. If it’s a picture it should be a close-up, as the picture we’ll be making is very tiny.
2. Open it with a photo editor like Photoshop, iPhoto, etc.
3. Crop the image so it’s perfectly square.
4. Resize the image to 16 x 16 pixels at 72 dots per inch setting.
5. Save the image in a JPEG or GIF format.
6. Rename the saved image to favicon.ico
7. Upload to the “root directory” of your website. Also upload favicon.ico to the folder of your active theme. (wp-content/themes/YourThemeName).
8. Quit and restart your browser. You may also have to clear the cache from the Tools menu of the browser.
9. Load your website and smile when you see the picture displayed.