Infamous Catholic, Nancy Pelosi, speaks to the Girl Scouts on Capital Hill.

In my recent post I questioned whether or not Catholics should purchase Girl Scout cookies in light of the connection between the national organization and Planned Parenthood. As much as I hate to report it, additional information has surfaced regarding this connection and the secular agenda of the Girl Scouts organization. This saddens me, as I am an ardent advocate of scouting – both of my sons are Eagle scouts – and the character it builds within our girls and boys. While the Boy Scouts have remained loyal to their values of God and country, the times they are a changing within the national Girl Scouts organization.

Kathleen Sebelius, HHS Secretary, speaks at the 100th Anniversary celebration on Capital Hill.

On February 1st the Girl Scouts celebrated their 100th Anniversary on Capital Hill in the Cannon Caucus Room. As examples of the role models embraced by Girl Scouts, infamous “Catholic” Senate minority leader Nancy Pelosi and HHS Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, whose organization is behind the push to provide free contraception and abortion-inducing drugs in all of our nation’s health care plans, both addressed the gathering. This assembly of liberal congresswomen gathered to address the Girl Scouts is not surprising considering the roster of pro-abortion and pro-gay marriage speakers who addressed the national convention last November. As I dig deeper into the facts surrounding the agenda of the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS), as a Catholic I am increasingly concerned about the values our daughters are being exposed to. I want to encourage all Catholic parents, especially those who have daughters enrolled in the Girl Scouts, to learn more about their pro-choice agenda. I strongly suggest that you to read this informative article by Mary Hasson of the Catholic News Agency, The Catholic Church and the Girl Scouts: A scandalous mess. Finally, I hope Catholic parents will tune in to Women of Grace on EWTN this Friday, February 24th, to learn more about the Girl Scouts from a Catholic perspective. If you can’t watch the show on TV, you can view it right here on the Women of Grace website. We all need to be educated about what our children are learning from the organizations we entrust them to, if for no other reason than to closely monitor their activities and the messages they communicate to our impressionable children.

8 thoughts on “Catholic Perspectives on the Girl Scouts

• February 21, 2012 at 8:58 pm

Thanks for sharing this important info! The EWTN series is a 5 part series and it runs every day this week. 2/20-2/24. On the Women of Grace website link you provided, if you scroll down you’ll see the other 4 shows.

• February 22, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Yes, let’s be educated about what our girls are learning from Girl Scouts. They are learning to be leaders with courage, confidence and character! As a Catholic, I am appalled that the extremists of the Catholic faith feel it necessary to take any and every opportunity to cram their beliefs and opinions into every other organization. The mission and purpose of Girl Scouts is not about these issues. Just because Girl Scouts does not expressly share the same views as the extremists of the Catholic faith does not mean they share the same views of the extreme liberals. The organization is neutral on these matters as they are not part of the Girl Scout mission. So once again let’s be clear about what our girls are learning from Girl Scouts. To be leaders with courage, confidence and charcacter…..qualities this Catholic is happy to teach my daughters through Girl Scouts!

• February 22, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Linda, no one is trying to make GSUSA Catholic or even religious. They are not “neutral on these matters” and their curriculum opposes the teachings of the Church. GSUSA promotes role models and resources and maintains relationships that directly conflict with the pro-life, purity message. The Journeys series sends girls new age websites that encourage them to explore the occult, websites that promote abortion and Planned Parenthood, tells young girls to watch movies rated morally offensive by the USCCB, not to mention they refer girls to WAGGGS where they can see cartoon condoms wearing a baseball hat and information about emergency contraception and sexual rights for youth. I’m really curious about your definition of a Catholic extremist ~ Is that a Catholic who follows the Catechism?

• February 22, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Amen, Christy. I’m always amazed that applying the teachings of the Church to one’s daily activities and affiliations is considered by some “Catholics” as being extremist. I’ve thought of it as a matter of attempting to live out my faith.

• February 22, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I presume this means you apply the teachings of the Church to all aspects of your daily activities and affiliations. You work with noone who has different beliefs. You have no friends with differing views. The banks, merchants, wireless service providers, etc. you use do not support any agendas other than those that conform to the teachings of the Church. Tell me you live a life that exclusively supports organizations and companies that apply the teachings of the Church. I presume you are not being hypocritical and selective on when and where you apply the teachings of the Church to your daily life. As for Christy’s comments, nothing could be further from the truth. By extremist, I refer to….well, you.

• February 23, 2012 at 6:27 am

I believe you’re confused as to what the Church asks us to do as Christians. Yes, I do believe it’s important for us as Catholic Christians to do our best to apply the teachings of the Church to all aspects of our daily activities and affiliations. However, there are many times when we have no choice but to use the services of organizations and individuals whose values are contrary to the message of the Gospel. For example, I need to purchase the electricity I use at my home from my local power company. I have no other viable choice in this matter, even though there may be individuals within that electric company who act in immoral ways. However, these individuals are not the people I choose to educate and instill values in my children.

In the case of the Girl Scouts, the situation is quite different. We are voluntarily choosing to affiliate with an organization which is transmitting values to our children that are contrary to the Church’s teachings. Herein lies the danger and my concern. While I have no choice but to purchase my electricity from the local power company, I do have a choice about who is going to teach values to my daughters. This is a very different matter.

You label me an “extremist” because I take my faith seriously and attempt to align the actions of my life with the teachings of the Church and Scripture. You presume that I have no friends with differing views or work with no one who has different beliefs from those I hold. Your presumption, which I suspect was offered sarcastically and not sincerely, is of course not correct. What is true, however, is that I do my best through my actions and example to shine light on the darkness I find in the hearts of those who have yet to discover the love of Christ and the truth of the Gospel message. I do my best to live in the world while not being of the world. It’s not easy, especially when one has to justify this faith to a fellow Catholic. However, I take solace in the fact that Jesus told us that to follow him we must embrace his cross. I’m comforted to know that to endure the unfair judgements of others – especially other Catholics – is simply part of this embrace.

My understanding of being a Catholic Christian means that I have an obligation to take a stand against evil in the world and to do so with patience and love. Our Church teaches that contraception and abortion are evil. As such, I must take a stand against organizations that promote these evils, either blatantly or subtlety. While I don’t believe that every local Girl Scout chapter is promoting values that oppose our faith, it is clear that the national organization is doing so. As such, it’s important for me, being aware of these facts, to call them out and help others to see what is going on so they can make informed choices over who they choose to affiliate with. For me it’s a matter of conscience in the same way that I also feel compelled by my faith to participate in prayer vigils to end abortion and to protest outside a Planned Parenthood facility.

Bottom line, it’s important that we take our faith seriously and do our best to live it. We are warned in Revelation 3:15-16 that Christ will spit out those who are lukewarm in their faith. I pray that you will take some time during Lent to reflect on your call as a Catholic to be an “extremist” in the faith as well. May God bless you, Linda.

• February 23, 2012 at 9:20 am

Linda, I understand that it’s hard to believe my comments. But they are true~let’s look at some documentation and page scans from Journeys together. Amaze, p11 tells girls 6-8th grade girls to go to the website astrolog.org, click here for page scan and site review of astrolog.org http://speaknowgirlscouts.com/web_images/scan0022.jpg

Your Voice Your World, page 41, encourages girls to visit Amnesty International and Population Council, both support abortion. Click here to see page scan: http://speaknowgirlscouts.com/web_images/po_fund.jpg

Amaze, p 14, asks 6-8th grade girls to watch the movie Clueless, rated morally offensive by the USCCB for giving “the impression that there is nothing wrong with teenagers experimenting with sex, drugs and alcohol. Ridicule of virginity, implied affairs and casual substance abuse by adolescents.” See page scan here, http://speaknowgirlscouts.com/web_images/scan0002.bmp See USCCB review here. http://old.usccb.org/movies/c/clueless.shtml

On WAGGGS website (which GSUSA refers girls to regularly, both in Journeys and online). Example of Journeys sending girls to WAGGGS website: http://www.100questionsforthegirlscouts.org/100/documents/GS_YVYWan.PDF Here is the link the AIDS curriculum showing a “fun” pink condom baseball hat. http://speaknowgirlscouts.com/web_documents/cartoon_condom_pic.pdf The curriculum is for age 10 and up. Regardless of what you believe about condoms, is this really appropriate for a ten year old?

Here is a screenshot of WAGGGS promoting safe, affordable, accessible abortion, emergency contraception and sexual rights for youth right on their website. http://www.100questionsforthegirlscouts.org/100/documents/GS_WGAan.PDF

In “Girltopia” (released in 2008) page 10, for girls in 9th and 10th grade, the book The Gate To Women’s Country and author Sheri S Tepper are promoted. I have heard that this reference will be removed on reprint but for now it’s still available and it’s been in girls hands for four years. This GSUSA recommended resource is full of the f-bomb (as a verb), prostitution, forced sterilization, orgies, and more. Please see GS page scan promoting this book, and some excerpts from Gate to Women’s Country. http://speaknowgirlscouts.com/web_documents/girltopia.pdf I am confident even “non-extremist” would find this offensive.

What else do you need Linda to see that I am only sharing facts? I have many, many more examples of these GS approved resources and relationships that not only conflict with our Catholic teachings, but many non-Catholic families take offense to as well. Why would anyone lie about this?

If a Catholic extremist is someone who is concerned about girls being exposed to the information I have provided, then I proudly accept your label. I will stand for the Church’s teachings, I will continue to warn families about these issue. Name calling is a common tactic when a person is unable to defend their position with facts. Perhaps you can do a little research or ask some questions, before accusing your fellow Catholic (I assume you are Catholic) ~ as you can see I am sharing the truth about the GS curriculum. Praying that your Lenten journey is full of light. Christ’s peace be with you.

• February 24, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Great answer Christy and it is clear you speak truth. The Girl Scouts have not disputed one fact that has been disclosed. When people are confronted with truth they are truly speechless.